With the current job market, many students have asked me about how to start their own businesses. While being your own boss may sound like a good idea, there are many things to consider – first and foremost is whether you have the personality and drive to be a business owner.
- Am I willing to work odd/long hours, holidays, weekends?
- Do I always strive to do things better?
- Can I work without supervision?
- Am I an action-oriented person?
- Am I driven to achieve results?
- Am I incredibly persistent?
If you said “No” to any of those questions, then being a business owner may not be for you. But, if your answer was a resounding “Yes!” to ALL those questions, then here are some links to get you going:
- U.S. Small Business Administration: http://www.sba.gov/content/young-entrepreneurs
- Texas Young Professionals: http://www.texasyoungprofessionals.com/
- Young Entrepreneurs: http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/
Remember, it is a shark tank out there and it will take a lot of effort not to get eaten alive but with hard work, patience, and creativity you can survive and thrive!